Sunday, December 20, 2009

aaand here come the finals

what do you do when you can't bring yourself to study, but don't have much else to do? Blog, of course! At this point I realize that if I'm going to out-do my sister in blogging, I'm going to have to pick up the pace. And besides, I've got a good twenty minutes to kill until my load in the dryer is done, and I seriously doubt I can get any more information out of this Gemara right here than I already have. I've been, like, torturing it. I mean, when I started, it was singing like a canary, but now it's just sitting here, limp and numb to its surroundings. Nothing doing here...

So yeah, this is reading week- no class, just cramming for finals. It's a semi-new concept for me, coming from That School I Came From where you felt lucky if you had less class on finals week. So naturally I feel like I'm going to have some time-management issues. That may mean a little more time on the xbox than is healthy (I have some serious ground to cover in modern warfare 2), but my schedule this semester is somewhat lighter than it would be usually, and the only real issue I'm going to have is with computer science, without a doubt the hardest course I'm taking, and am in danger of failing. The professor boasts about how his finals are "killers" and half the stuff on the final from last semester was not even broached in class. Hopefully things will pull through, as long as I get help from the right people and put a serious effort into it, which I plan to do. "Planning", however, is not a major at this university.

So anyways the past couple of weeks I've noticed that I'm spending too much money here in new york. I've spent more money the last four months than I've spent collectively in my entire life. Granted that includes a tv and a macbook pro, but the fact that most of it was on long-term investments doesn't make me feel much better. I'm still paying like $45 to take a cab to the airport, to get to a flight which actually costs $64. I've spent quite a bit on restaurants here too, which I feel guilty about to a lesser extent, since I live for food.
The truth is I'm not scrapping for cash as it is. I just have issues parting with my money. Especially if I'm not making any. I've put some effort into finding a job, and so far I've come up with nothing. I actually came here with the idea that I'd be getting an internship with Viacom helping with video editing. Nothing even came close to materializing there, although I did edit the spoof for the play, to tremendous success.

My goals now are to finish off the rest of these finals- and finish them well- and then get home for some long-awaited vacation. There is a small chance of me missing my flight next Thursday, as my last final officially ends about a little under two hours before my plane takes off. Although last time I went to LaGuardia, the car service got me there within 20 minutes, I was through security in 10, only to find out that my flight had been delayed three hours. While the conditions may not be the same, I would be shocked if it took me an extra hour just to get to the airport. But I've been shocked before. Stay tuned for partial excitement!

2 comments:

fudge said...

you think you're lucky. it looks like i might not have any planes tomorrow.

iguana said...

You can't outdo me. I have more spare time in one evening than you have for collective MONTH.

Partial excitement ahoy!